- Health care facilities have uniquely defined characteristics based on the needs of the facility or population served. Poor design may lead to staff, visitor, or patient stress. In large facilities, the inability to find a department may lead to frustrations and disorientation. Poor layout may also lead to staff inefficiencies or fines because of failure to meet regulatory requirements. Throughout this course you will design a floor plan for the facility you select in this assignment. This assignment illustrates the difficult balances between patient flow, workflow, safety, and aesthetics. You will use this document as a guide to understand the environmental design elements you should include in your final design. You will submit the Facility Planning Template each week as your assignment. Complete the Week 2 section of the Facility Planning Template. Cite at least 2 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar references. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
Facility Planning TemplateHCS/446 v11
Page 4 of 4
Facility Planning Template—Floor Plan
Health care facilities have uniquely defined characteristics based on the needs of the facility or population served. Poor design may lead to staff, visitor, or patient stress. In large facilities, the inability to find a department may lead to frustrations and disorientation. Poor layout may also lead to staff inefficiencies or fines because of failure to meet regulatory requirements.
Throughout this course you will design a floor plan for the facility you selected in the Week 2 Facility Selection and Research assignment. This assignment illustrates the difficult balances between patient flow, workflow, safety, and aesthetics. You will use this document as a guide to understand the environmental design elements you should include in your final design. You will submit this document each week as your assignment.
For this project, you may use the program of your choice to complete the floor plan. Some programs to consider are Microsoft® PowerPoint®, Visio®, Publisher®, Excel®, or online floor plan programs such as Edraw, SmartDraw, Gliffy, and Lucidchart. Your faculty member will need to approve your choice, since he or she must be able to view your project in order to grade it. It is important to note that the purpose of this project is not to be an expert at creating a facility using your chosen program, but rather to ensure the concepts learned in this course can be applied to the facility design principles. Your use of the floor planning program is meant to enhance your learning of the course and program concepts.
Week Two: Facility Selection and Research
Select a facility from below to use in your final project. You will use this facility in Weeks 3 through 5. If you would like to use a facility not listed here, please check with your instructor for approval.
· Assisted living
· Birthing center
· Doctor’s office
· Hematology lab
· Hospital security layout
· Outpatient clinic
Research the facility.
Write a 260- to 350-word summary. Your summary should:
· Describe the facility you selected and its purpose in the health care industry.
· Identify the populations who use the facility.
· Identify key characteristics of the facility.
· Explain why you have selected this type of facility.
Cite at least 2 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar references.
Submit your assignment.
Week Three: Facility Planning—Floor Plan, Part 1
The construction of evidence-based health care facilities includes careful planning and layout as well as considerations for the health of the population to be served. Evidence-based health care facilities planning also needs input from a cross-functional team of informed stakeholders and the integration of best practices in modern design and regulatory requirements.
This week you will focus on your facility’s structure and the areas contained within it. Next week you will add assets to your facility.
Create a floorplan that includes at least 3 to 5 distinct areas or rooms. You will be responsible for adding environmental design elements each week. Your final floor plan is due in Week 5.
Note: You are not expected to manually draw all elements of your design. Using images, clipart, graphics, icons, symbols, or any other visual tools in your design is acceptable.
Consider the following elements and add them to your facility as appropriate:
· Facility structure
· Waiting areas
· Other related structural components
· Facility areas
· Customer service and amenities
· Reception desk, bathroom, shower, vending machine, etc.
· Patient consultation areas
· Clinical support areas
· Nurses station, charting areas, etc.
· Administrative offices
· Building support
· Laundry, generator facilities, housekeeping, etc.
· Diagnostic and treatment space equipment and location
· Mechanical equipment
· Space for laboratory equipment, radiology equipment, gases like oxygen, and suctions
Write a 175- to 350-word response to the following questions:
· Describe the steps you took to complete the structure and areas of your facility.
· What considerations did you make?
· Include references and research to support your considerations.
· Describe any successes or challenges you faced this week building your facility.
· Include a
print screenof your facility below. Use the instructions provided if you need help adding a print screen.
Include a print screen of your facility in the last page of the paper.
Cite at least 1 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar reference.Submit your assignment.
Week Four: Facility Planning—Floor Plan, Part 2
This week you will continue to build your final facility. The legal team has asked you to provide them with considerations regarding legal and regulatory requirements that may affect the facility planning process.
Add the following to your facility:
· Assets and equipment:
· All assets and equipment that should be considered for use by the patient, staff, and families
· Regulatory considerations:
· Color and noise elements
· Regulatory elements, such as Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines
Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper. Your paper should:
· Analyze the impact of federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements on your selected facility.
· Consider and discuss assets and equipment you will need to add to your floor plan.
· Consider and discuss any modification you made to your floor plan with respect to structure and area.
· Analyze accountability and liability implications for individuals and organizations for your selected facility.
· Analyze legal versus ethical considerations for your selected facility.· Include a print screen of your facility below. Use the instructions provided if you need help adding a print screen. Include a print screen of your facility in the last page of the paper.
Cite at least 3 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar references.
Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.Submit your assignment.
Week Five: Facility Planning—Floor Plan, Part 3
This week you will complete your floor plan by incorporating additional elements, such as IT equipment and creative healing elements. It is important to review your facility and consider any additional changes based on the knowledge you have gained throughout the course.
· Other elements:
· IT equipment
· Creative healing environment ideas
Write a 350- to 700-word response to the following:
· Describe technology, equipment, and design elements you would use to support the sustainability of your facility in the future.
· Explain how designing a community-based sustainable health care facility will address the needs of the community demographics of your facility.
· Imagine this facility was a renovation of an existing structure and describe what you would have done differently while planning your facility.
· Describe successes and challenges during your facility design.
· Describe successes experienced while designing your facility.
· Describe challenges experienced while designing your facility.
· Describe what you would do differently to address your challenges.
Cite at least 2 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar references.Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
Submit your facility planning template and completed floorplan.
Copyright© 2018 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.Copyright© 2018 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.